LOST HILLS, CA
This is a full-time, non-exempt position responsible for the mapping and planning of a gypsum mine/quarry and landfill located in Lost Hills, CA. Candidates must be well versed with the MS Office suite (especially Excel), and experience or education in geology or related field in earth sciences. Understanding of CAD/GIS is a must, proficiency in CAD/GIS software is preferable. A successful Junior/Engineer Geologist must be comfortable working indoors or outdoors, and have a working knowledge and understanding of standards, regulations, industry practices, and health and safety protocols applicable to the mining and landfill industries.
Essential Job Duties
- To assist and oversee activities related to drill program execution, surface mapping, drill holes logging, and interpretation of geological information.
- Produce and acquire quality geological information from surface mapping, drilling hole logging or any other field geological information required.
- Maintains and updates mine mapping data based on historical records, drilling, and mining operations.
- Assist to develop drill programs, evaluates drill set-ups, samples drill cuttings, and logs results of drilling operations and lab results.
- Independently handles drill efforts for geological exploration of valuable minerals and soils.
- Interprets geological data, information, and drilling results for both the landfill and mine.
- Prepares mine plans (with mine mapping software (Vulcan)) to assist Mine Superintendent in achieving production goals.
- Utilizes survey-grade GPS to reference precise locations of drill holes, mining operations, and other features as-needed.
- Works cooperatively with various local, state, and federal agencies to comply with permits.
- Prepares maps and plans using CAD/GIS and mine mapping software.
- Prepares schedules and cost estimates for operations and projects.
- Assist to propose new work approaches, methods, and policies to optimize performance and to ensure adherence to industry regulations and organizational standards.
- Contributes to the development of policies and practices related to exploration geology.
- Provide status reporting regarding project milestones, deliverable, dependencies, risks and
- issues, communicating across leadership.
- Keeps on top of trends related to exploration geology and incorporates this information into work assignments.
- Makes recommendations to management on improvements to geologic exploration and efficient extraction of valuable minerals and soils.
- Actively seeks learning to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Requirements, Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Geology, Hydrogeology, or relevant field of study from an accredited university
- Understanding of GIS/CAD and ability to use mine mapping software with proper training
- Experience with Maptek – Vulcan software Block Modelling, Grid Modelling, and Open Pit Design preferred.
- Ability to sample analytical data against compliance standards
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in using the MS Office Suite, especially Excel (formulas, manipulation, Pivot Tables)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrates curiosity, business acumen and a desire to understand the ‘big picture’
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate but may be noisy at times in the field.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and participate in E-Verify.
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Holidays
Position Location: Lost Hills, CA
Hours: M-F, 7AM-4PM
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at w
Please send qualifying resumes to email@example.com.